Not only do you need an ISBN for your book in Australia, but you’ll need one for each format of your book, including ebooks, paperbacks, and hardcovers!
An International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a unique identifier for your book or audiobook. Your ISBN specifies information such as the book format, the edition, and also the publisher. When you release a new book, you’ll need one for each format. This includes the ebook, paperback, hardcover, or audiobook. That’s four in total.
Remember, always lock in your title before assigning your ISBN, as it can be difficult to change or edit your information once it has been assigned. The last thing you want to do is to change numbers or titles and waste money buying new ones.
If you are publishing an ebook on amazon.com.au or any of Amazon’s other platforms, you won’t require an ISBN because Amazon will assign you a member and register it for you. However, if you choose to publish your book anywhere else, you’re also going to have to source an ISBN. Our personal recommendation is always to source your own, as it will give you the ability to control where your book is listed.
So, What Does Your ISBN Do?
- It will improve the likelihood that your book will be discovered and purchased.
- Your number links bookstores, libraries, and other businesses to your book’s information.
- Your ISBN will allow you to market and distribute your book effectively across various platforms.
- Almost all retailers require you to have it.
- Your ISBN will allow you to collect and analyze any sales information.
- Your number ensures that your book information will be stored in the Books In Print Database, which is consulted by retailers, publishers, and libraries worldwide.
ISBNs for Australian Authors – Conclusion
When it comes to buying an ISBN in Australia, Thorpe-Bowker is one of the best places to do it. They have several different ISBN packages. All of their packages are designed to give you the best value for money. Of course, the best value for money any new author can get is their 10 x ISBNs for $88, as most books you self-publish will require a minimum of three. Prices will vary depending on where you live. However, always purchase through a reputable seller.
If you have any questions about self-publishing your book or would like to learn more about our book design and formatting services, then please don’t hesitate to contact us. We also offer a variety of other self-publishing solutions, such as editing and ghostwriting. We’re more than happy to help you with the self-publishing journey.