Not only do you need an ISBN for your book in Australia, but you’ll need one for each format of your book, including ebooks, paperbacks, and hardcovers!
An International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a unique identifier for your book or audiobook. Your ISBN specifies information such as the book format, the edition, and also the publisher. When you release a new book, you’ll need an ISBN for each format, including ebook, paperback, hardcover, or audiobook.
Remember, always lock in your title before assigning your ISBN, as it can be difficult to change or edit your ISBN information once it has been assigned.
If you are publishing an ebook on amazon.com.au or any of Amazon’s other platforms, you won’t require an ISBN because Amazon will assign you an ASIN. However, if you choose to publish your book anywhere else, you’re also going to have to source an ISBN. Our personal recommendation is always to source your own ISBNs as it will give you the ability to control where your book is listed.
So, what does your ISBN do?
- Your ISBN will improve the likelihood that your book will be discovered and purchased
- Your ISBN links bookstores, libraries, and other businesses to your book’s information
- Your ISBN will allow you to market and distribute your book effectively
- Almost all retailers require an ISBN
- Your ISBN will allow you to collect and analyze any sales information
- Your ISBN ensures that your book information will be stored in the Books In Print Database, which is consulted by retailers, publishers, and libraries worldwide.
Do I Need An ISBN For My Book In Australia? – Conclusion
When it comes to buying an ISBN in Australia, Thorpe-Bowker is one of the best places to do it. They have several different ISBN packages, all of which are designed to give you the best value for money. Of course, the best value for money any new author can get is their 10 x ISBNs for $88, as most books you self-publish will require a minimum of three.
If you have any questions about self-publishing your book or would like to learn more about our book design and formatting services, then please don’t hesitate to contact us. We also offer a variety of other self-publishing solutions, such as editing and ghostwriting.